Tax Relief on Home Help Services

Income Tax Relief may be available to paying clients or their relatives at their top rate of tax, subject to Revenue Commissioners conditions and approval. This means that you could receive tax relief of up to 41% of the cost of our service. It is also possible to claim this relief as part of your tax credits and so you receive the benefit as part of your weekly or monthly wages and therefore receive the benefit immediately. When more than one person is paying the costs of Home Care, the Tax Relief may be divided between the contributors pro-rata to their contributions, once the total does not exceed €50,000 if any Tax Year.

Who Else Can Claim?
You, your spouse or a relative. A “relative” includes relation by marriage and also a person for whom the claimant is, or was, the legal guardian.

How Do I Make A Claim?
You need to complete the form HK1 “Claim for an allowance for employing a Carer/Personal Assistant”. This form is attached to the IT47 “Employed Person Taking Care of an Incapacitated Individual”, which his included in the information guide.

This form should then be submitted to your local Inspector of Taxes. The form for Employed Persons Taking Care of an Incapacitated Individual can be downloaded at:

Click on any of the following links for further information:


Citizen’s Information – Home Care Packages 


Citizen’s Information Tax relief on the costs of employing a home carer 


HSE – Home Care Packages 


HSE – Services for Older People in Ireland 


Darndale-Belcamp Village Centre Older People Support Network

WordPress Cookie Notice by Real Cookie Banner